An article in the Burlington Free Press, on seniors and falls includes some interesting Vermont facts on falls...
- "One in five hip fracture patients over age 65 die within a year after surgery, and one in four have to spend a year or more recuperating in a nursing home.
- Falls are the leading cause of catastrophic injury in older adults.
- Among older adults, falls are the leading cause of injury deaths.
- More than 95 percent of hip fractures among those over 65 are caused by falling.
- Vermont has one of the highest rates of death from falls nationwide."